Wednesday, August 12, 2009

About Unchurched

Sometimes God gives you a word - just one word - and leaves it to you to figure it out. Sometime in the past year, he gave me unchurch. Unchurch. Not even a real word. Well, not one I'd ever heard.

I've shared the word with a few friends and church leaders, but I still haven't been able to wrap my mind around it. I know that it means we (the church) have to break out of the church (structure, tradition, organization, defined culture) to become the kind of people God can use to reach the unchurched.

Unchurch. It's both a judgement of what we have become over 2,000 years and what we have to become to be salt and light in a broken world.

It's a simple concept, but a huge one that redefines our purpose, just as Jesus, St. Paul, the prophets, and other reformers have done over the years when their hearts break over what the people of God have become - an organization with rules and traditions and the ability to withhold love from some of the people God loves and wants restored.

This blog is my place for wrestling with who we are, who God wants us to be, and how we can get there. I hope it will bless and challenge you.

Dan Knight,
redeemed and remade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quicklinks

Follow Dan Knight on Twitter.

Short link: http://bit.ly/1cDydS

Share on Facebook